The aim of this course is to train a student in providing immediate first aid in an emergency situation in order to save lives. Many workplaces require onsite first aiders, making this course especially relevant for those entering the workforce.
The course contains theory and practical assessments covering the following topics:
- Overview of HSE regulations relating to accidents in the workplace.
- Scene assessment and management.
- Primary assessment.
- CPR - adult / child / infant.
- AED use and practice.
- Choking - adult / child / infant – conscious and unconscious.
- Shock and the recovery position.
- External and internal bleeding.
- Basic wound care.
- Burns and scalds.
- Fractures and dislocations.
- Soft tissue injuries – sprains and strains.
- Breathing difficulties.
- Heart conditions.
- Neurological - stroke and seizures.
- Allergies and anaphylactic shock.
NZQA Unit Standards
6400 Manage first aid in emergency situations (2 credits)
6401 Provide first aid (1 credit)
6402 Provide resuscitation level 2 (1 credit)
8 hours for Unit Standards: 6401 and 6402
12 hours for Unit Standards: 6400, 6401 and 6402
If you have any questions in regards to this information sheet please do not hesitate to contact a representative of Vertical Horizonz New Zealand Ltd.