At the successful completion of this course the trainee will be able to; identify hazards and controls within confined spaces; develop an emergency procedure plan; and complete the necessary documentation required for a confined space entry.
Both theory and practical lessons covering the following:
NZQA Unit Standards
- The required legal documents covering confined space entry are identified.
- Examples of confined spaces are listed and categorised.
- The main hazards of confined spaces are identified in terms of their potential for serious harm.
- The control measures to eliminate or minimise the confined spaces risk are identified.
- Develop an emergency procedure plan including evacuation strategies,emergency actions when first discovered, confined space safety watch duties.
- Conduct confined space entries (various scenarios).
- Conduct confined space rescues (various scenarios).
17599 Plan a confined space entry
18426 Demonstrate knowledge of hazards associated with confined spaces
*Other standards can also be integrated and assessed within this course; i.e. Unit standard 25510 Gas Testing; Unit standard 17596 Safety Observer; Enter a water industry confined space etc. Cost will depend on assessed units.
Attendance Numbers Minimum of 8, maximum of 10 per trainer.
Course Duration 2 days
Competency in US 17599 requires trainees to demonstrate a level of written and spoken English to be able to read and interpret Permits To Work and any supporting Certificates for a Confined Space entry, and report clearly within these document.
Those qualified with unit 17599 (Confined Space Entry) will be able to work unsupervised as well as supervise and manage a group or team.