NOTE: Site Safe Card Renewal
Through the Vertical Horizonz and Site Safe partnership, trainees who complete this Confined Space course can also automatically renew their existing Site Safety Card (Passport).
Additionally, completion of the Confined Space course can contribute towards the Site Safe Certificate in Construction Site Safety. Enrollment for this is seamless and can happen on the day of the course.
At the successful completion of this course the trainee will be able to; identify hazards and controls within confined spaces; develop an emergency procedure plan; and complete the necessary documentation required for a confined space entry.
Both theory and practical lessons covering the following:
NZQA Unit Standards
- The required legal documents covering confined space entry are identified.
- Examples of confined spaces are listed and categorised.
- The main hazards of confined spaces are identified in terms of their potential for serious harm.
- The control measures to eliminate or minimise the confined spaces risk are identified.
- Develop an emergency procedure plan including evacuation strategies,emergency actions when first discovered, confined space safety watch duties.
- Conduct confined space entries (various scenarios).
- Conduct confined space rescues (various scenarios).
17599 Plan a confined space entry
18426 Demonstrate knowledge of hazards associated with confined spaces
*Other standards can also be integrated and assessed within this course; i.e. Unit standard 25510 Gas Testing; Unit standard 17596 Safety Observer; Enter a water industry confined space etc. Cost will depend on assessed units.
Attendance Numbers Minimum of 8, maximum of 10 per trainer.
Course Duration 2 days
Competency in US 17599 requires trainees to demonstrate a level of written and spoken English to be able to read and interpret Permits To Work and any supporting Certificates for a Confined Space entry, and report clearly within these document.
Those qualified with unit 17599 (Confined Space Entry) will be able to work unsupervised as well as supervise and manage a group or team.