Note: This course contributes to the award of a National Certificate by the NZQA. VHNZ can apply for the National Certificate from NZQA.
The Vertical Horizonz New Zealand (VHNZ) National Certificate in Adult Education and Training (Level 4) programme is designed for people delivering and assessing training in New Zealand workplace environments. It trains candidates to train knowledge, skills and attitudes in ways appropriate to their trainees' abilities and needs, and their workplace.
The programme teaches candidates to understand the training cycle, the importance of planning to best meet their trainees learning needs and maximise their learning experience, delivery strategies and techniques, the assessment process and the importance of sufficient evidence to capture and measure competency. It has the flexibility for candidates to plan, develop and practice delivery, and assess teaching and learning programmes, specifically relevant to them and their workplace.
There are no prerequisites to entry. This qualification may stand alone or lead on to the National Certificate in Adult Education and Training (Level 5).
- Workplace visits to understand the environment and current issues
- Client consultation
- Customised programme development.
- Post training assessment of delivery
- Analysis of benefits gained
- Follow up support of trainees if required.
- At a venue and time of your choosing
- Outcome focused learning
- Use of actual examples drawn from your business
- Packed full of hands-on activities
- Use of self and peer assessment
- Individual assistance if needed
- Delivered by practical experts using everyday language
- A full set of practical and usable course notes.
The VHNZ National Certificate in Adult Education and Training (Level 4) programme is most often assessed against the following unit standards:
The programme can be offered in a number of different ways depending on the needs of the client and the training needs and experience of the trainees. Most commonly, the programme is delivered as a 5-day block course (teaching only) followed by the candidate gathering evidence within the workplace and submitting it to a VHNZ assessor for marking.
During this workplace evidence gathering, the candidate will be required to conduct a number of in house training and assessment sessions for small groups.
During the face to face workshop the candidates will be provided understanding in the methods and techniques required for training and assessing in the workplace. They will also go through and practice what evidence is required in order to obtain the units within this programme.
Basic subjects covered will be:
- The qualities of an effective trainer
- The recognition of different learning styles in different people
- The creation and maintenance of a desire to learn
- The training environment
- The skill of variability
- Basic body language
- Effective communication
- Conducting theory and practical lessons
- Developing and using training aids
- Identification and correction of unsafe practice
- Confirming learning has been assimilated
- Question technique
- Judging competence
Our Teaching Method
Our trainers are all experienced practical people. They speak everyday workplace language and have a wealth of real life examples to share with our trainees. A typical delivery is via the experiential learning method. Over 50% of the lessons are contained in practical activities and as part of peer syndicate tasks. Trainees are encouraged to 'have a go' in a supportive, safe environment.
The Typical Trainee
Many of our trainees:
Who should attend?
- Left school as soon as they could
- Have little formal qualification
- Are very good in their trade or field
- Have life experience and knowledge.
Qualification targets individuals who are:
- Workplace trainers and assessors
- Those being groomed to pass on knowledge, skills or attitudes in the workplace
- Team leaders responsible for training.
Vertical Horizonz New Zealand Ltd is an approved training provider for many Industry Training Organisations (ITO's) and other Tertiary Education Organisations (TEO's). To find out if your Company qualifies for funding please don't hesitate to contact one of our representatives.
5 days face to face, followed by 4 weeks evidence to be submitted to the VHNZ Assessor.
This qualification may stand alone, or lead on to the National Certificate in Adult Education and Training (Level 5) [Ref: 0379 NZQA]