Vertical Horizonz Group  |  Australia  |  New Zealand  |  Middle East
Licence Endorsements

    Endorsement V
(Vehicle Recovery)

Course Aim
People are required to hold certain Driver Licences and Endorsements to legally drive vehicles in New Zealand. VHNZ offers V Endorsement, for vehicle recovery services, as well as the classes of licence for driving heavy vehicles (Classes 2, 3, 4 and 5), and the Logbook component, for drivers who are legally required to manage driving hours. Details regarding Driver Licensing Classes 2, 3, 4 and 5 are on a separate Information Sheet.

You must hold the right class of licence (i.e. Class 2, 4, or 5) if you plan to drive a heavy vehicle in a vehicle recovery service.

Course Overview
Theory lessons covering the following:
  • What is a vehicle recovery service?
  • What is a vehicle recovery service vehicle?
  • Learn about the relevant sections in the Transport Services Licensing Act 1989.(TSL Act) pertaining to vehicle recovery.
  • Requirements of a vehicle recovery service.
  • Your responsibilities as a vehicle recovery service operator.
  • Driver licensing requirements for Endorsement V (Vehicle recovery).
NZQA Unit Standards 
17580    Demonstrate knowledge of driver requirements for endorsement V (vehicle recovery)
*24089   Demonstrate knowledge of fatigue management, work time, and driver logbook requirements

Pre-entry Information
*Unit standard 24089 must be included unless you have either: Qualified on this unit standard within 12 months of the current course, or, qualified on this unit standard more than 12 months prior to the current course and can prove you have retained the knowledge and skills to be competent in this unit. Please note that a trainee's NZQA record of learning/record of achievement is not acceptable evidence, as this does not verify that the unit was completed as part of a Transport Agency approved driver licensing course. See 'NZTA Statement of Approval Conditions' section 3.2 for full exemption conditions.
To apply for a V Endorsement you must have held a full Class 1 (car) licence for a minimum of 2 years. Note that holding an equivalent overseas licence does not meet this requirement, however you may be able to apply for an exemption.
To obtain a V Endorsement you are required to complete an Application for endorsement PVIO form which can be found at an AA licensing establishment. There are a number of compliances an individual must meet prior to receiving a V Endorsement. Check the form over, making sure of your eligibility to obtain the Endorsement prior to participating in a course.

Attendance Numbers
    Minimum of 6, maximum of 10 trainees per trainer
Course Duration            V Endorsement only - Half day
                                     V Endorsement and Logbook - 1 and a half days

More information regarding the legal licensing requirements is available from the NZ Transport Agency at

What is your enquiry?

Course Enquiry:
First Name:
* Last Name:
Organisation or Company:
Position or Title:
* Email:
* Phone:
Your town or city:
Are you on a training
agreement with an Industry
Training Organisation?:

Yes     No

Transport & Crane

First Aid


Industrial Safety

Rural Operations

Health and Safety