Emergency Care First Response
Price (Per Person): $695 + GST
Company Price: $6,455 + GST
This course replaces unit standard 25412 “Provide basic pre-hospital emergency care” (PHEC). Trainees will be required to provide emergency care in an out-of-hospital context, recognizing and responding to respiratory and circulatory insufficiency, changes in levels of consciousness, and other conditions using devices and/or techniques readily available to non-health professionals, prior to transfer of care to ambulance crew of other health professionals.
- Assess and manage the scene of an emergency situation
- Perform a primary survey to identify any life threats
- Perform a secondary survey
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of safe patient moving and lifting techniques without injury to self, patient or others
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of devices and/or techniques to manage patients in an emergency situation
- Monitor patients and provide information in an emergency situation
- Recognise signs of stress in self and apply appropriate strategies to mitigate effects and
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge requirements relating to patient information and documenting events.
Who Should attend
This unit standard may be an end in itself or be used by those who intend to become emergency care responders. People who have an advanced first aid role or responsibility in an organisation or work in high risk situations.
Applicants must have a current first aid certificate, refreshed or completed in the last two years, that includes unit standard 6400 “Manage first aid in an emergency situation” or 23406 “Provide first aid for trauma and medical emergency situations”, or be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills.
NZQA UNIT STANDARD
Provide basic emergency care
NUMBERS MINIMUM 8 MAXIMUM 12