At the successful completion of this course a trainee will be able to: describe hazards that may harm workers, the work environment, and organisations; explain health and safety requirements for hazard control; describe hazard control methods; and identify hazards and apply risk assessment procedures.
Theory lessons covering the following:
- Responsibilities of employers and employees under the HSW Act are identified and described.
- Explain how hazards are defined in the HSW Act.
- Describe hazards that may harm workers, the work environment, and organisations.
- Explain health and safety requirements for hazard control.
- Describe hazard control methods.
- Identify hazards and apply risk assessment procedures.
- The hierarchy of hazard management controls is described in terms of eliminating and minimising hazards.
Possible NZQA Unit Standard
Apply hazard identification and risk assessment procedures in the workplace