At the successful completion of this course trainees will be able to describe the structure and function of the spine; identify the risk factors for occupational back injury; identify back care techniques; and identify work place control measures to reduce the risk of back injury.
Theory and practical lessons covering the following:
- Responsibilities of employers under the HSW Act are identified and described.
- Describe the structure and function of the spine.
- Identify the risk factors for occupational back injury.
- Factors that increase the risk of back injury are identified.
- Risk factors associated with workplace design, the work environment and work organisation are identified in accordance with legislative requirements.
- Identify techniques that reduce the risk of back injury and demonstrate back care techniques.
- Identify work place control measures to reduce the risk of back injury.
Possible NZQA Unit Standard
Identify the causes of back injury and methods to prevent back injuries in the workplace