Micro-Credentials - Operate a Tractor in the Primary Industry (Level 3)
Price (Per Person): $716 + GST
The micro-credential provides new entrants, career change people and temporary working visa holders who are new to the primary industries with the skills and knowledge to operate a tractor with PTO and 3-point.
Who Should Attend
This qualification is intended for people using tractors in their primary sector workplace.
NZQA UNit Standards
All Unit Standards listed below are compulsory on completion trainees may be awarded the Micro-Credential by the PrimaryITO.
|UNIT STANDARD||UNIT DESCRIPTION||NZQA CREDITS||LEVEL|
|19044||Demonstrate knowledge of the legal requirements and hazards associated with tractor use||3||2|
|24538||Demonstrate knowledge of tractor stability and the dynamics of tractors and attached implements||4||3|
|24539||Maintain and use a power take off (PTO) driven implement attached to a tractor under limited supervision.||4||3|
|31913||Operate a basic tractor on flat terrain under close supervision||3||2|
|31914||Attach and detach a power take off driven 3-point linkage mounted implement to a basic tractor under close supervision||2||2|
On completion of this micro-credential, you will be able to:
- Identify the legal requirements for tractors and tractor drivers on both private property and on public roads
- Demonstrate knowledge of hazards associated with tractor use
- Describe reporting requirements for accidents and near misses
- Demonstrate knowledge of factors that affect tractor stability
- Demonstrate knowledge of the dynamics of tractor and attached implement combinations when in use
- Demonstrate knowledge of the differences between two wheel drive (2WD) and four wheel drive (4WD) tractor dynamics
- Maintain a PTO driven implement on a tractor
- Drive a tractor and PTO driven implement to complete a workplace activity
- Check a basic tractor before use
- Drive a basic tractor over flat terrain
- Attach a PTO driven 3-point linkage mounted implement to a basic tractor, and
- Detach a PTO driven 3-point linkage mounted implement from a basic tractor.
This course is funded by PrimaryITO. Applicants MUST be New Zealand or Australian citizens or residents or overseas workers with temporary working visa that does not expire before completion of the programme.
Applicants must be working in an primary industry environment with access to a safety compliant 1000kg tractor with 3-point linkage and relevant implements for day-to-day on farm use.
For funding purposes, a training agreement must be signed by the candidate, their employer and PrimaryITO. Funding is available until the 31 December 2022 through the NZ Governments Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF) after which a fee may be required for incomplete training.
Training will not commence until enrolment and funding is confirmed by PrimaryITO.
The course investment will vary depending on specific course requirements such as customisation of training location, student status, and number of Learners.
To be eligible to enrol in full-time or part-time study for this programme, applicants must:
- Be over 16 years of age
- Learners must have access to a commercial primary industry or agriculture business involved with where light utility vehicles are used in day to day operations
- Must have use of a LUV on private land with flat and rolling terrain
- Be physically fit and able to demonstrate physical competency for the skill being trained
- Have minimum 20 hours experience operating a tractor and implements in a workplace as evidenced by managers attestation, log books, and/or other evidence. This evidence must be presented prior to or on the first day of the course.
Our Teaching Method
Our trainers are all experienced practical people. They speak everyday workplace language and have a wealth of real-life examples to share with our students. Students are encouraged to ‘have a go’ in a supportive, safe environment.
This micro-credential is taught across two months and includes two face-to-face learning days supported by a work experience log completed on the job.