Working at Heights - Basic
To enable a trainee to use a safety harness for personal fall prevention when working at height.
At the successful completion of the course the trainee will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the hazards associated with wearing a safety harness and associated equipment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safety harnesses and associated systems and equipment.
- Check and fit a safety harness.
- Use a safety harness where a fall hazard exists at height.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rescue plan to be activated in the event of a fall.
As far as possible, training will focus on prevention and restraint techniques using travel restraint strategies rather than fall arrest.
The course requires a level of fitness to demonstrate competency for the skill being trained.
Unit standard 23229 is the prerequisite for unit standard 15757 Use, install and disestablish temporary proprietary height safety systems when working at height.
Persons qualified with unit 23229 are able to utilise basic fall arrest systems e.g. harnesses, lanyards and inertia reels.
Those who are required to install, disestablish and identify anchor points for fall arrest systems as well as conduct rescues; should look at the greater level of training, unit standard 15757.
NZQA Unit Standard
Use safety harness when working at height