Knowledge of safe working at heights procedures and use of a safety harness will provide a head start to students looking to pursue trades within many practical industries including construction, infrastructure and mining. many trade apprenticeships include working at heights as a mandatory component (roofing, scaffolding, electrical).
- Demonstrate knowledge of the hazards associated with wearing a safety harness and associated equipment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safety harnesses and associated systems and equipment.
- Check and fit a safety harness.
- Use a safety harness where a fall hazard exists at height.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the rescue plan to be activated in the event of a fall.
As much as possible, training will focus on prevention and restraint techniques using travel restraint strategies rather than fall arrest.
NZQA Unit Standards
23229 Use a safety harness for personal fall prevention when working at height (3 credits)
Course Duration 1 day